Home care aides help clients with their day-to-day activities and are available to work in short shifts a few times per week during waking hours, or around the clock, seven days per week.
Our Aging Life Care Managers work with clients to determine the home care schedule that will work best to support their goals.
Available Care at Home Services Include
- Engaging in socialization and purposeful activities
- Helping with bathing, dressing, and personal care
- Preparing nutritious meals that take into account dietary preferences and needs
- Performing light housekeeping
- Offering medication reminders
- Transporting clients to appointments
- Managing Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, or other disease-related symptoms
- Providing end-of-life care, including advanced personal care
Integrated Model of Care
Home care aides are directly supervised by our Aging Life Care Managers who ensure the care plan is being followed and monitor home care aide performance through regular home visits and phone check-ins. Through our integrated model of care, clients benefit from the combined skills of everyone on the Windward team. This includes expertise in social work, nursing, counseling, dementia care, and other related fields.
Working together, our Aging Life Care Managers and home care aides provide compassionate one-on-one support, from companionship and transportation to assistance with activities of daily living and end-of-life care. They also facilitate opportunities for clients to remain socially engaged, the discovery and enjoyment of new activities, and other ways to give clients a sense of purpose and fulfillment.
Training Is Everything: Compass Care Certification
Windward Life Care’s proprietary Compass Care Certification is a 10-hour training program required of all our home care aides. Through a combination of online, classroom, and demonstration learning, our caregivers build on their established knowledge in the areas of healthy aging, client safety, dementia care, mental health, developmental disability, and end-of-life care. An Aging Life Care Manager, who is also a registered nurse, checks the skills of each home care aide to ensure proficiency. A Compass Care Certificate is awarded upon passing the final exam. And ongoing continuing education is required for all staff throughout the year.
- An example of ongoing continuing education is our partnership with Caregivers Kitchen nutrition training. The online course, Basic Cooking: Culinary Skills for Caregivers™, gives the caregiver flexibility to complete training from anywhere. They learn practical knowledge and cooking skills with “How To” and recipe videos. Home care aides take away practical tips for healthy meal planning; food presentation and flavor; tips on smart grocery shopping; and best practices for kitchen safety and cleanliness – skills that home care aides immediately implement within their clients’ homes. The course helps those who are new to the kitchen or are seasoned chefs. Since we implemented the training with our caregivers, Windward Life Care achieved Culinary Skills for Caregivers℠ Expert Certification from Caregivers Kitchen.
Your Safety Is Our Priority
Our clients’ well-being is our greatest concern. We take several steps to ensure the safety and security of our clients and their property. Beginning in 2016, the State of California required that all home care companies be licensed, and Windward Life Care is licensed with the Home Care Service Bureau. All our home care aides are registered with the Home Care Services Bureau, which requires criminal background checks. We are also certified members of the California Association for Health Services at Home (CAHSAH), the state association whose certification includes additional criteria for hiring and employing professional caregivers.
We hold general and professional liability insurance and bond insurance, and our Aging Life Care Managers make regular home visits to monitor the activity in our clients’ homes. These are only a few ways that we ensure quality and safety and provide our clients the assurance that they are working with experienced professionals.