Planning activities with aging parents is important for creating memories that you can cherish for years to come. When you are caring for your loved ones, fun activities can be the perfect thing that is needed to minimize stress and focus on the highlights of your relationship.
But it can be a challenge sometimes to find the right activities that can be enjoyed by people of all ages. Consider the person’s mobility and choose from some of these fun options:
- New Game: Choose a new game that fits their personality. It might be as simple as a game of checkers, or a new word game app on your phone. Board games and puzzles can be great if the person has the dexterity to pick up the game pieces.
- Baking or Cooking: Spending time in the kitchen together not only fills their fridge with delicious food, but it can also be a way to share the nostalgia with family recipes.
- Genealogy: Don’t miss the opportunity to learn about your family history. Aging adults are often willing and interested in talking about their childhood memories. This information can be recorded and kept for future generations. Another option is to spend time on a genealogy website looking at the family tree.
- Talk a Walk: If the person can leave the house, a bit of fresh air can be uplifting. Walk around the park, or bring a picnic to enjoy on the backyard porch.
- Events and Concerts: Look for community activities and events that match the person’s interests. For example, a musician might enjoy an evening at the symphony.
- Local Classes: Is there a new hobby you would like to share together? Look for classes in the area, such as sewing, crafting, cooking, and more. Community classes are often available to the public at reasonable prices.
Other Resources for Aging Parents
Are you looking for support for the care of your loved one? You don’t need to hold the responsibility of caring for aging parents alone. Windward Life Care is here to help you find the resources needed for your parent’s unique situation. Call today to learn more about available services.