With the holiday season underway, it can be a challenge to come up with creative and meaningful gifts for our loved ones. We understand that it can be difficult to choose a meaningful gift for an elderly family member. Our team has put together a gift-giving guide to help with your holiday shopping.
Considering the Needs of Elderly Family Members
The holidays offer the perfect season for gathering and creating memories together. However, if someone is affected by health problems, then this time of year can be a challenge for everyone involved. Whether your loved one is suffering from dementia or another health concern, choose gifts that are appropriate for their circumstances.
Small gifts might be the right solution to help the person simplify life at home. Or, look for options to offer entertainment or comfort.
Gift Ideas for Older Adults
Here are some of the most popular gifts for seniors this year:
- Digital Photo Frame: Upload photos of the family, including children and grandchildren. Don’t forget to include photos of friends and neighbors. These digital photos can rotate in the frame to show the person the familiar faces of loved ones. Another option is to design a traditional photo album if the digital movement is difficult for the person to watch.
- Walking Shoes: Good, supportive shoes are important to ensure comfort and safety. The right pair of shoes can help the senior maintain an active lifestyle.
- Weighted Blanket: Not only does this blanket offer warmth, but it also gives the feeling of being cuddled or hugged. A blanket, such as My Calm Blanket uses Deep Touch Pressure Stimulation to help with the regulation of mood and improve relaxation.
- Tickets: Spending time together is a great gift. Consider purchasing tickets to a movie, symphony or play.
- Music: Sound can be stimulating and comforting, especially if the person is feeling lonely. Choose a CD or create a custom playlist of the person’s favorite artists.
- Magazine Subscription: Ongoing entertainment and reading that is delivered to the mailbox each month. Find a genre to match a person’s interests and hobbies.
- Stationery: Nothing beats a hand-written note from a loved one. Gift a nice set of stationary or cards. Don’t forget to include the stamps!
- Custom Calendar: Design a personalized calendar with photos of the family. Include all of the important dates that need to be remembered, including anniversaries, birthdays, and more.
Feel free to contact us at Windward Life Care if you have questions about resources that are available to support the needs of your loved one.